Behavioral Health Topics
Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report
- Examining state-level trends in suicide and the multiple circumstances contributing to it to help inform comprehensive state suicide prevention planning.
- Showing how sustained implementation of population-based strategies, in coordination with Food and Drug Administration regulation of tobacco products, is critical to reducing tobacco product use and initiation among U.S. youths.
Improving medication adherence
This is a practical tool to help improve medication adherence for PerformCare members who are experiencing depression and could also be used for any diagnoses. This tool is provided by Lilly Inc. and permission was granted for use by all PerformCare providers.
Questions for your patients with depression (PDF)
Identifying mental health and substance use problems of children and adolescents
This guide was created to promote the early identification of children and adolescents with mental health and substance use problems and to provide guidance, tools, and resources for early identification — including a compendium of the most developmentally, culturally, and environmentally appropriate screening instruments.
A Guide for Child-Serving Organizations (PDF)
Treatment of alcohol
This advisory is a revision of the 2006 Substance Abuse Treatment Advisor: The Role of Biomarkers in the Treatment of Alcohol Use Disorders. The revision was necessitated by increased scientific knowledge about alcohol biomarkers and requests from clinical and judicial professionals for greater clarification on the use of biomarkers.
The role of biomarkers in the treatment of alcohol (PDF)
Tobacco cessation information for mental health providers
- DIMENSIONS: Tobacco Free Toolkit (PDF) | Supplement — Priority Populations: Behavioral Health (PDF)
The tobacco cessation toolkit for Mental Health Providers was developed by the University of Colorado Denver, Department of Psychiatry, Behavioral Health and Wellness Program. This resource cannot be altered in any form. Permission to post this toolkit was granted by the University of Colorado Denver.
- American Lung Association Finds That Pennsylvania Can Do More to Reduce the Toll of Lung Cancer (PDF)
- Tobacco Cessation Toolkit Memo to Providers (PDF)
- Implementing Tobacco Cessation Programs in Substance Use Disorder Treatment Settings (PDF)
- SAMHSA Implementing Tobacco Cessation Treatment for Individuals with Serious Mental Illness: A Quick Guide for Program Directors and Clinicians (PDF)
- Additional information for members about tobacco cessation
Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) recovery website
SAMHSA's recovery website answers two key questions:
- What is recovery in relation to behavioral illness?
- What implications does recovery have for transforming behavioral health practice to become "recovery oriented"?
As part of a federal initiative to move the concept of recovery from policy and vision statements into practice, SAMHSA offers a range of resources for mental health professionals who are engaged in the transformation process. Learn more about recovery practices at Partners for Recovery. Additionally, remember the role that the National Alliance of Mental Illness (NAMI) can play in the member's recovery process.
eSolutions is a regularly updated electronic resource of the SAMHSA-HRSA Center for Integrated Health Solutions. This resource delivers news and perspectives on primary care and behavioral health integration directly to your inbox.